By July 24, 2023
In our fast-paced modern world, hormonal imbalances have become increasingly common (for both men and women), manifesting in various forms such as irregular menstrual cycles, mood swings, low energy levels, and even fertility challenges. While Western medicine offers some effective treatment methods, they often come with a hefty price tag and unpleasant side effects. Traditional Chinese Medicine presents a holistic approach to restore hormonal balance and promote overall well-being.
Understanding Hormonal Imbalances in Traditional Chinese Medicine
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, hormonal imbalances are often attributed to disruptions in the flow of Qi and blood within the body. When Qi and blood circulation become weak or stagnant, various symptoms can arise. Hormonal imbalances are viewed as an indication of imbalances within the organ systems (such as the Liver, Kidneys, Spleen, and Heart). By identifying the root cause of these imbalances, we can restore harmony and promote optimal hormonal function.
Herbal medicine has been used for centuries to restore balance to the body, and plays an important role in balancing hormones. Some common herbs to balance women’s hormones include:
- Goji Berry – builds and nourishes the blood, and is high in antioxidants
- Dang Gui – Helps to nourish and regulate the blood, and is Phyto-estrogen rich to help regulate hormone receptors
- Chinese Wild Yam – Increases Qi, helps to increase progesterone levels, and strengthens the digestive system
- White Peony Root – Nourishes the Blood and regulates menstruation, calms the nervous system
- He Shou Wu – Nourishes the Blood, helps with immunity
Herbs that can help to balance men’s hormones include:
- Polyrachis Ant – Nourishes Qi, and is high in zinc which helps with the production of hormones
- Cistanche – helps stimulate the endocrine system
- Chinese Ginseng – Increases Qi, helps to calm the nervous system, tonifies the digestive system
- Horney Goat herb – Increases sperm production and sexual desire, stimulates the sensory nerves, aids in recreation of endogenous hormones
- Chinese Dodder Seeds – Strengthens Qi, helps with impotence, nocturnal emissions, premature ejaculation, tinnitus, urinary frequency, and sore painful back. Also tonifies the Kidneys and Liver, and strengthens the digestive system
Acupuncture is also useful in balancing hormones. By inserting fine needles into specific acupuncture points, we can restore the free flow of Qi and Blood, and address hormonal imbalances at their root. Acupuncture stimulates the body’s natural healing mechanisms, encouraging hormonal balance and addressing symptoms such as mood swings, hot flashes, migraines, sudden weight loss or weight gain, fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold or heat, thinning hair, insomnia, and infertility. It can also help to promote relaxation and decrease stress, which can contribute to hormonal imbalances.
Lifestyle and Dietary Recommendations
In addition to herbal medicine and acupuncture, it’s important to adopt a healthy lifestyle and dietary habits to balance hormones. Your practitioner will make recommendations to you based on your constitution, imbalances, and overall health and wellness goals.
Some common dietary recommendations include consuming warming foods and nourishing herbs into your diet, such as:
- Warming herbs like cloves, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, ginger, and cinnamon
In addition, adding some relaxation techniques to your day can help to balance your hormones as well. Stress is well known to disrupt hormones (as well as sleep, which ALSO disrupts your hormones). Adding some light exercise or meditation can be really beneficial to you.
Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatments for TMJ
Balancing hormones is a multifaceted process that requires addressing the root cause of the imbalances while promoting overall well-being. Traditional Chinese Medicine offers a unique approach that considers the interconnectedness of the body, mind, and environment. By utilizing herbal medicine, acupuncture, and adopting a healthy lifestyle, Traditional Chinese Medicine aims to restore harmony within the body, allowing for optimal hormonal functioning.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease or illness. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to the use of this product if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medications or have a medical condition. Individual results may vary.